Ruaha National Park is the largest park in Tanzania and East Africa, with 20226 km2 located southern part of Tanzania. In 1910 Germany colonialist named the area as Saba Game Reserve while in 1946 the British colonialist changed its name to Rungwe Game Reserve. In 1974 a small area of South Eastern part of the Ruaha River was included into the park. until 1964 the Rungwe Game Reserve given a status by Tanzania National Park Authority (TANAPA) as Ruaha National Park.
The name “Ruaha” comes from Hehe word “Ruvaha” which means River. In Ruaha National Park there is a Ruaha river which flows 160 km through the park and is the focus for game-viewing
In 2008 the park become the largest one after the combination of the Kizigo, Muhesi Game Reserves, and the Mbomipa Wildlife Management Area game reserves.
Many birds migrates from different parts and visit the park that leads to have More than 571 species of birds. Other animals found in this park are cheetah, lion, African leopard and wild dog, spotted hyena, giraffe, hippopotamus, African buffalo, and sable antelope
In dry season, the Ruaha River becomes more important to herds of impalas, gazelles and other antelopes whereby the thirst drive them to drink available less water that becomes an advantage to predators (lions, leopards, cheetahs, wild dogs and hyenas) making it the best hunting ground for prays.